Well, I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award by Sarah Findlay from “Geek With A Pen“. Thanks 🙂
Although I can’t think of anyone to nominate at the moment (although I have one or two possible ideas), I thought that I’d answer the questions as best as I can:
Ten Random Facts About Me
1) Although I’m absolutely opposed to film censorship, I’ve read enough about it (for some reason, it also absolutely fascinates me) that I could probably actually work as a BBFC examiner in the event of an emergency….
2) I’m left-handed.
3) I was hyperactive when I was a kid and I couldn’t eat sugar for about seven years. I’m still catching up on all of this missed time…
4) I studied martial arts when I was 16-18 and got a brown belt in Taiho Jutsu (it’s a cross between Judo, Aikido and Karate which was originally created in the late 1940s for the Japanese police and was also apparently taught to the British police in the 1970s-90s, although it’s only really taught as a sport/ form of self-defence these days).
5) I’m a retro gamer who believes that computer and video games were at their finest during the 1990s. And I still play “Doom” regularly too.
6) I once wrote a 21,500 word horror novella over the space of 3-4 days in 2009, just to see if I could.
7) I’m an ex-Christian and an ex-Wiccan who currently believes in the law of attraction, parallel universes and a whole bunch of other strange and fascinating stuff.
8) My favourite type of food is Chinese or Mexican food and my favourite drink is probably Pina Colada or green tea.
9) I don’t drive. Seriously, I took a few lessons when I was younger, but it never really felt particularly intuitive (which is something of an understatement) and it scared me slightly too (seriously, how are people so relaxed about driving?). So, yeah, I don’t drive.
10) Being rejected by Oxford University when I was 17 was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Not that I knew this at the time.
And here are the other questions:
What are you currently reading?
“A Storm Of Swords 2 – Blood And Gold” By George R. R. Martin, it’s part of Martin’s “A Song Of Ice And Fire” series and it’s absolutely amazing! Seriously, I didn’t know that fantasy fiction could be this good.
(Reviews for the first half of this book and for “A Clash Of Kings” will be posted within the next couple of weeks).
Who is your favourite author and why?
Billy Martin. I discovered his books (all written under the pen name of “Poppy Z. Brite”) at exactly the right point in my life and they just simply blew me away. Many of Martin’s early novels and short fiction collections are beautifully-written, wonderfully gothic, delightfully erotic, relaxingly countercultural, unflinchingly gruesome and/or brilliantly surreal.
Not only that, Martin’s more recent novels (eg: the “liquor” novels) are some of the most beautiful romance novels that I’ve ever read – and I don’t usually read romance.
My other favourite authors (including comic writers) include Kate Bornstein, Clive Barker, Marjane Satrapi, Neil Gaiman, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, William Gibson, Warren Ellis, Lise Myhre, Shaun Hutson, Lee Child, Dan Brown, S.D.Perry, H.P.Lovecraft and quite a few other writers too.
If you’re a writer, do you try to get down a certain word count each day?
Not really, although I’ll usually end up apologising if my blog posts are less than about 600-700 words long.
In 25 words, tell me about yourself.
Hmm… I don’t know if I can really express myself fully in just 25 words. Brevity isn’t one of my strong points.
Share one weakness and one strength with us.
I still censor myself way more than I should (in terms of my art, my fiction, my blog posts, my personality, my appearance etc…) but, on the plus side, my art has improved incredibly over the past two years.
Why do you blog?
I don’t know, it just kind of happened, I guess. I’d tried writing personal blogs before, but they didn’t really last for more than a couple of months – but, as soon as I started blogging about art, writing etc… It just seemed to work a lot better.
What’s your favourite song or piece of music and why?
Ok, I have a lot of favourite songs, but one of my earlier favourite songs (which I first heard when I was about 15/16) is probably “Caught Somewhere In Time” By Iron Maiden. Not only does this song absolutely rock, it meant a lot to me back then for various reasons.
How many magazines do you subscribe to and what are they?
I don’t really subscribe to any magazines at the moment, but if I did, then I’d probably subscribe to “Writing Magazine”, “2000AD”, “Fangoria”, “Bizarre” and probably a few computer game and film-related magazines.
Which animal are you most like and why?
Probably a tortoise, a coelacanth or a chameleon, I guess. I don’t know, I just really like these three animals.
Share one goal you plan to achieve in the next six months.
I’m absolutely terrible at long-term planning. So, I have no idea what I’ll be doing in six months time. But, hopefully my art will be better by then.